Handwa is sweetly termed as Indian Savory Snack Cake and is hot favourite tongue ticklers for all. It is a very popular Gujarati snack recipe prepared using various dals. It is easy to cook and served hot within minutes.
1/4 cup split bengal gram (chana dal)
1/4 cup split green gram (moong dal)
1/4 cup plit black lentils (urad dal)
1 cup red gram dal(tur dal)
2 cups rice
1 cup wheat
1 cup boiled corns
1 cup curd
2 cup grated bottle gourd
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp soda
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp green chilli paste
2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
10 tbsp oil
salt to taste
1. Wash and soak the rice, wheat and dals together for 3-4 hours and drain it well.
2. Grind it well and add salt and curd into it and mix it well and keep aside for 6-7 hours.
3. Add the grated bottle gourd, boiled corns, chopped coriander, soda, lemon juice, sugar, green chilli paste, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
4. Take Handwa Cooker or thick bottom saucepan and spread oil in cooker.
5. Pour batter into it and spread it finely.
6. Heat 5 tbsp oil into pan, add mustard seeds till it crackles, once it crackles add asafoetida and sesame seeds.
7. Spread this oil on batter.
8. Cover the Cooker or thick bottom saucepan with its top.
9. Cook for 30-minutes in low flame and if you want to check then put a knife through and it should be come out clean.
10. Serve it.